100-Hour In-Person GSY Teacher Certification Program
In-Person Teacher Certification Courses with James Knight, E-RYT, CHSE
These courses are offered at various locations worldwide.
Please see our Events and Retreats Page for the current schedule.
32-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Practitioner Level 1
32-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Practitioner Level 2
36-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Teacher Level 3
Explore this Life-Changing Curriculum that you won’t find anywhere else!
Who Would Benefit Attending This Program?
This 100-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga® Certification Program is designed for yoga teachers, body-workers, dance teachers, occupational therapists, other health care professionals who would like to expand their scope of practice to include a more of a therapeutic approach to mindful movement. Upon successful completion of the program you will be able to integrate 70+ Somatic Movement Flows® into your classes and/or private practice to enhance client outcomes and to expand your specialty niche.
However, it is not necessary to be a yoga teacher, movement educator, or body worker in order to take these courses. They are open and available to anyone interested in empowering them self with skills to enhance their vitality and well being.
What Will I Receive?
After graduating from the 100-hour Gentle Somatic Yoga program you will receive a certificate of completion demonstrating your commitment to the art and science of Gentle Somatic Yoga. As a Certified Teacher you are qualified for working one-on-one or in groups as part of your professional practice.
100 HOURS OF YOGA ALLIANCE APPROVED CEUs FOR REGISTERED TEACHERS
Follow this LINK to view student testimonials from our online 4-Hour GSY Introductory Course. A $49-off coupon is offered toward the GSY Practitioner Level 1 certification in-person or online courses when paid in full (scroll to the bottom of the linked page for details).
What Will I Learn?
- Gentle Somatic Yoga Principles – Learn, demonstrate and teach 70+ Somatic Movement Flows® that can be incorporated into other therapeutic modalities (Yoga Therapy, Physical Therapy, Massage, etc.) or can be the basis for an entire group class.
- Gentle Somatic Yoga Teaching Methodologies – Going deeper into the science and philosophy behind these innovative therapeutic modalities: Hanna Somatic Education; The Three Reflexes: Green Light, Red Light, and Trauma; Sensory Motor Amnesia; Techniques of Pandiculation; Tips and guidelines for a successful practice; Cueing; and Modifications to teach a wide variety of students safely.
- The History behind Gentle Somatic Yoga – Gentle Somatic Yoga is based off the work of Eleanor Criswell, Thomas Hanna, Moshe Feldenkrais, and Lawrence Gold. Learn the history and philosophy behind this cutting edge body technology and the basic neuromuscular effects of somatic exercises for body re-education and pain relief.
- Functional Anatomy and Physiology – In-depth learning module on muscular integration, anatomy of movement, myofacial functions, the role of fascia, common injuries and conditions, and nervous system responses. Learn which Somatic Movement Flows were designed with specific anatomical focus.
- Individual and Group Practice – Attention to teaching style, demonstration, cueing and correcting will be reinforced throughout the Program to prepare you to teach Gentle Somatic Yoga.
- Body Assessment – Learn to read the human body and how it illustrates the three reflexes: Green Light, Red Light, and Trauma.
- Case Studies – Reviewing common bodily conditions and injuries that challenge people physically. Learn from how to choose which Somatic Movement Flows could help reverse these conditions.
- Teaching for Special Populations – Learn how to modify Gentle Somatic Yoga to meet the needs of seniors, beginner yoga students, athletes, and individuals with special conditions: rehabilitation from injuries, pregnancy, desk workers, and others.
- Assisted Pandiculation – Learn how to safely support your students with these effective hands-on assisted movements.
- Modifications, Props, and Tips – Learn how to use innovative techniques that will enhance the needs of every student.
- Practicum: Practice teaching, receive feedback, and observing others teaching.
- Building your Gentle Somatic Yoga Business – Marketing and client development for classes, workshops, and programs for individuals and groups.
How Can I Apply My Education And Certification?
- Expand your scope of practice by teaching customizable Gentle Somatic Yoga classes to your population. On average, one hour Gentle Somatic Yoga classes have 6 Somatic Movement Flows. In this 100-Hour Instructor Certification Program you will learn 70+ Somatic Movement Flows, which gives you many options for designing targeted classes based on your student and client needs.
- Experienced yoga teachers and movement educators can develop advanced classes and workshops to support the next step in movement as a healing art for your students. You will be able to apply the principles of Gentle Somatic Yoga and provide workshops and programs to help with typical conditions (neck and shoulder tension, common back pain, tight hips and hamstrings). If you are already working with specialty populations, the Gentle Somatic Yoga can augment your practice and differentiate your expertise in the field.
- If you are a yoga teacher and looking to fulfill a niche specialty population like the desk worker, senior, beginning yoga students, plus sizes, pregnancy, cancer survivors, etc… this could be a great way to establish yourself as an expert in this field.
- Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, Massage Therapists, Bodyworkers, and other Health Care Practitioners can teach Somatic Movement Flows to their clients and patients. The new skill set you will learn from Gentle Somatic Yoga will dramatically speed up all therapeutic and healing processes.