The Journey Begins with The Somatic Foundation
This 32-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga and Wellness® Level 1 Course is designed for anyone who would like to develop a home practice and learn valuable skills for self-care and self-healing. Somatic Movements go to the root cause of persistent pain, stiffness, poor posture, anxiety and lack of energy. Most people experience immediate and long lasting results.
Additionally, the Add-on Certification Option provides a credential to yoga teachers, yoga therapists, bodyworkers, dance teachers, movement educators and other healthcare professionals who would like to expand their scope of practice and add to their skillset.
What will I learn?
- 25+ Therapeutic Somatic Movement Flows® for self-care, resiliency, health and wellbeing
- Discovering ways to practice that are suitable and effective for your body. Emphasis will be on finding your own inner teacher and relying less on “doing it right” according to instruction or demonstration
- How to develop an embodied experience of wellness that will build confidence for continued self-healing
- How to practice mindful and compassionate movement in a way that inspires deeper connection with your body
- For teachers: leading-edge neuroscience balanced with heart-based wisdom
- For teachers: Tips and guidelines to support your own niche of adaptive and nourishing movement into your group classes and private sessions
- For teachers: Learn how to replace static stretching with innovative brain-to-muscle re-education that goes to the root cause of most chronic muscular pain: the way in which the brain senses, controls, and organizes the muscles with movement
View the Course Outline for information that will be covered in detail.
This self-paced Online Course Includes
- User-friendly technology offered in a format of personalized videos produced by James Knight, Founder of Gentle Somatic Yoga & Wellness® (GSYW), and downloadable step-by-step instruction handouts from each module. These handouts can make a teaching manual for future reference.
- Modifications and Props ~ Learn how to modify for the needs of: Beginner yoga students, active seniors, deskworkers, chair yoga, athletes, individuals recovering from injury – pre and post surgery, pregnancy, and much more.
- Methodology: Tips, guidelines, and enhancements for the 25+ Somatic Movement Flows® that can easily be incorporated into other therapeutic modalities.
- Cueing and sequencing ~ that would appeal to a wide variety of demographics.
- Neuroscience of this method ~ Hanna Somatic Education; The Three Reflexes: Green Light, Red Light, and Trauma; Sensory Motor Amnesia; Techniques of Pandiculation; The Stretch Reflex, Means-whereby, Pranayama, Body Scan and more…
- History and Philosophy ~ This method was primarily inspired by the work of Thomas Hanna, Eleanor Criswell, Moshe Feldenkrais, Lawrence Gold, and others. Discover what “Finding the Inner Yes” is about.
- For teachers: Tips for building your business as Movement Educators including strategies for marketing and client development for classes, workshops, and programs.
- For teachers: Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) Earn Yoga Alliance approved CEU hours for each course and/or Yoga Teacher Training program. We are in the application process for IAYT, acupuncture, and massage CEU’s
Add-on Certification Option
After you have successfully completed a Gentle Somatic Yoga & Wellness® Course (GSY Practitioner Levels 1, 2, & 3) you may choose to go the extra mile and become a Certified as a Gentle Somatic Yoga® Practitioner by purchasing the Certification Option and submitting a Teachback video (full instructions HERE)*.
Once certified, you will be acknowledged with a Practitioner Certificate as having demonstrated your competence and skill for providing Gentle Somatic Yoga® in an official capacity, either one-on-one or in a group setting, as part of your professional service(s). Click HERE to purchase and for more info.
How can I apply this education and certification?
Expand your scope of practice by facilitating customizable Gentle Somatic Yoga® group classes (either in-person or online). On average, an 1-hour Gentle Somatic Yoga class has six Somatic Movement Flows. In this 32-Hour Practitioner Level 1 Course you will learn 25+ Somatic Movement Flows® plus enhancements. This will provide you with many options for designing targeted classes based on your student/client needs.
If you are already working with specialty populations, then Gentle Somatic Yoga® can augment your practice and distinguish your expertise in the field of Somatic Education. Experienced yoga teachers, yoga therapists and movement educators can develop workshops and events designed to help with common physical complaints including neck and shoulder tension, chronic back pain, tight hips and hamstrings, etc…
Body Workers, Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, and other Health Care Professionals will be able to teach individual Somatic Movement Flows® to their clients and patients for take home exercises to accelerate therapeutic and healing processes.
*Prerequisite: Successful completion and certification for each Course Level is required to go to the next level. For example, you must have successfully completed the Level 1 Course in order to be eligible for the Level 2 certification. The certification option must be purchased separately for each Level completed and you can choose this option at a later date.
PAYMENT PLANS Students who register under a payment plan can qualify for certification by successfully completing their teachback, however they will not receive their certificate nor be officially recognized as certified until all scheduled payments have been received.
REFUND/CANCELLATION POLICY No refunds are granted once a student has begun their coursework. If a student has registered under a payment plan and there is a cancellation in the installment payments without our prior approval, then access to the course will immediately be terminated and there will not be a course completion or certification issued. Also, if there were a subscription cancellation of remaining payments due, certification eligibility would be rescinded.
Pay in Full
Please Enter Your Contact Information to Receive James Knight's Complimentary Instructional Video
Join James as he guides you through his 20-minute Gentle Somatic Yoga Home Practice Session. You will also be subscribed to the GSY newsletter. (You can unsubscribe at any time, we promise).
Make An Appointment with James
Do you have chronic pain and/or other physical limitations that are persistent and would like to have immediate relief with long lasting results?
If you so, make an appointment for a customized one-on-one virtual clinical session with James. Click below to book an appt and for more information.