100-Hour Online Teacher Certification Program
Online Teacher Certification Courses with James Knight, E-RYT, CHSE
Three certifications are offered, or will soon be offered, online. Receive a 20% discount off the full purchase price when you register for all three courses together, HERE.
32-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Practitioner Level 1
32-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Practitioner Level 2
36-Hour Gentle Somatic Yoga Teacher Level 3
Explore this Life-Changing Curriculum that you won’t find anywhere else!
Updated September 2018: The GSY Practitioner Level 1 online certification course is now available. The GSY Practitioner Level 2 and GSY Teacher Level 3 courses are expected to launch consecutively by late 2018. The tuition cost for Online Level 1 is $895, Level 2 is $895, and Level 3 is $995.
Would you prefer to first try a sampler course? Follow this LINK to view information about the online 4-Hour GSY Introductory Course. Enrollees receive a $49-off coupon that can be applied toward the cost of the online GSY Practitioner Level 1 Certification. Scroll to the bottom of the linked page for details.
Who would benefit taking this course?
This 100-hour Gentle Somatic Yoga® certification program is designed for experienced yoga teachers, body-workers, health care professionals, and therapists who would like to expand their scope of practice to include a more of a therapeutic approach to mindful movement. Upon successful completion of the program you will be able to integrate Gentle Somatic Yoga® to enhance student/client outcomes and expand your specialty niche.
However, it is not necessary to be a yoga teacher, movement educator, or body worker in order to take these courses. They are open and available to anyone interested in empowering them self with skills to enhance their vitality and well being.
What will I receive?
After successfully completing each of the Gentle Somatic Yoga® online certification courses, you will receive a certificate of completion demonstrating your commitment to the art and science of Gentle Somatic Yoga®. As a Certified Practitioner you are qualified for working one-on-one or in groups as part of your professional practice. Once you have completed the entire 100-hour GSY certification program, you are designated as a Certified Gentle Somatic Yoga Teacher.
100 HOURS OF YOGA ALLIANCE APPROVED CEUs FOR REGISTERED TEACHERS
What will I learn?
During this self-paced blended learning program, you will discover an effective form of mind-body training that goes to the root cause of most chronic muscular pain: the way in which the brain senses, controls, and organizes the muscles and movement.
Each individual course covers everything from the in-person GSY courses AND ALSO INCLUDES:
- Training Material consisting of references, guides and additional reading materials
- Detailed Instructor Sheets containing 70+ fully annotated movement sequences, illustrated with 600+ color photos not available elsewhere
- Extensive Video Library Learning Labs: Unlimited Access to the Gentle Somatic Yoga Video Library including “Learning Moment Vignettes” as well as full 1-hour Gentle Somatic Yoga LIVE classes presented by James
Information taught in the 100-hour in-person certification courses will be covered ONLINE in detail:
- Gentle Somatic Yoga Principles – Learn, demonstrate and teach 70+ Somatic Movement Flows® that can be incorporated into other therapeutic modalities (Yoga Therapy, Physical Therapy, Massage, etc.) or can be the basis for an entire group class.
- Teaching Methodologies – Deepening into topics of somatic theory, and the science and philosophy behind this art of movement: Hanna Somatic Education; The Three Involuntary Stress Reflexes: Green Light Reflex, Red Light Reflex, and Trauma Reflex; Sensory Motor Amnesia; Techniques of Pandiculation; Tips and Guidelines for a successful practice; Cueing; and Modifications to teach a wide variety of students safely.
- The History behind Gentle Somatic Yoga – Gentle Somatic Yoga is based off the work of Eleanor Criswell, Thomas Hanna, Moshe Feldenkrais, and Lawrence Gold. Learn the history and philosophy behind this cutting edge body technology and the basic neuromuscular effects of somatic exercises for body re-education and pain relief.
- Functional Anatomy and Physiology – Learning module on muscular integration, anatomy of movement, myofacial functions, the role of fascia, common injuries and conditions, and nervous system responses. Learn which Somatic Movement Flows were designed with specific anatomical focus.
- Practicum: Individual Documented Practice – Log your hours in both written and video formats. Attention to teaching style, demonstration, cueing and correcting will be reinforced throughout the program to prepare you to teach Gentle Somatic Yoga.
- Body Assessment – Learn to read the human body and how it illustrates The Three Reflexes: Green Light, Red Light, and Trauma.
- Case Studies – Reviewing common bodily conditions and injuries that challenge people physically. Learn from how to choose which Somatic Movement Flows could help reverse these conditions.
- Teaching for Special Populations – Learn how to modify Gentle Somatic Yoga to meet the needs of seniors, beginner yoga students, athletes, and individuals with special conditions: rehabilitation from injuries, pregnancy, desk workers, and others.
- Assisted Pandiculation – Learn how to safely support your students with these highly effective hands-on assisted movements.
- Modifications, Props, and Tips – Learn how to use innovative techniques that will enhance the needs of every student.
- Building your Gentle Somatic Yoga Business – Marketing and client development for classes, workshops, and programs for individuals and groups.
- Final Exam and Certification Requirements:
- Log and evaluation of a minimum of 60 hours of teaching Somatic Movement Flows outside of the course
- Final Exams: Quizzes, multiple choice, and essay
- Teach-back videos of full length Gentle Somatic Yoga classes. These classes must be video recorded and sent electronically for evaluation (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo)
How can I apply my education and certification?
- Expand your scope of practice by teaching customizable Gentle Somatic Yoga classes to your population. On average, 1-hour Gentle Somatic Yoga classes contain six Somatic Movement Flows. In this 100-hour Teacher Certification course you will learn 70+ Somatic Movement Flows, which gives you many options for designing targeted classes based on your student and client needs.
- Experienced yoga teachers and movement educators can develop advanced classes and workshops to support the next steps in movement as a healing art for your students. You will be able to apply the principles of Gentle Somatic Yoga and provide workshops and programs to help with typical conditions (neck and shoulder tension, common back pain, tight hips and hamstrings). If you are already working with specialty populations, then Gentle Somatic Yoga can augment your practice and distinguish your expertise in the field.
- If you are a yoga teacher and looking to fulfill a specific niche population such as the desk worker, senior, beginning yoga students, plus sizes, pregnancy, cancer survivors, etc., this offers an effective means of establishing yourself as an expert in the field.
- Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Massage Therapists, and other Health Care Practitioners can teach Somatic Movement Flows to their clients and patients. The new skill sets you learn from Gentle Somatic Yoga® will dramatically speed up all therapeutic and healing processes.
For more information or if you have questions, please email us.
SUBMIT YOUR NAME & EMAIL TO RECEIVE JAMES KNIGHT'S COMPLIMENTARY INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
Join James as he guides you through his 20-minute Gentle Somatic Yoga Home Practice Session. You will also be subscribed to the GSY newsletter.