Level 1: The Journey Begins
The Somatic Foundation
Your Healing Journey Begins with a Supportive Foundation…
A great house needs a solid foundation. In Gentle Somatic Yoga® (GSY) Level 1 training course, we provide your beautiful home (your Body/Soma) with the substructure that it needs to stay balanced and thriving.
Since you are already exploring to see if this wellness course is for you, then you already understand the importance of investing in your health. GSY is a science-based AND heart-based method to empower you with easy and reliable every day self-care.
This inspired course is right for you if:
You’ve experienced any nagging pain or stress based symptoms and want to relieve them, including but
not limited to:
- Joint pain
- Muscle Tightness, Stiffness or Spasms
You’re living with chronic pain and other symptoms from an injury, disease or condition, including but
not limited to:
- Chronic Lower Back, Neck, or Shoulder Pain
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue
- Sports Injury
You want to learn nourishing movements for an everyday home practice to keep your health and well-being thriving. Also:
- You want to add new skills that you can teach or coach in your group classes or private sessions. Great for yoga teacher/therapist, bodyworker, or health care professionals
- You want to be a credentialed Gentle Somatic Yoga® practitioner that will provide you recognition of a globally recognized brand that is highly marketable
More about Certification here »
What You Will Learn
- 25+ Therapeutic Somatic Movement Flows® for self-care, resiliency, health, and wellbeing
- How and why Somatic Movements get to the root cause of persistent pain, stiffness, poor posture, anxiety, and lack of energy
- Ways to practice nourishing movements that are suitable and effective for your body. Emphasis will be on finding your own inner teacher and relying less on “doing it right” according to instruction or demonstration
- How to embody the experience of wellness and build the self-confidence for continued self-healing
- How to practice mindful and compassionate ways to move that inspires deeper connection with your body
- How GSY is firmly rooted in leading-edge neuroscience and balanced with heart-based wisdom
- What tips and modifications that you can adapt to your own body, or your clients, in both group classes and private sessions
- How to replace static stretching with innovative brain-to-muscle re-education
“This has been a long-time goal to have the tools of GSY in my teaching and I cannot wait to offer more of this to my students. Thank you for making this teaching so accessible.“
– Heather Till, online L1 student
“I really enjoyed the course! I do plan to continue rest of the 100 hours! This has helped my back so much I am really excited to share it! The other part that I really find for me is that it releases so much tension from my mental, emotional and energetic body.
This is definitely a profoundly deep practice and I am looking forward to exploring the many layers!! ”
Diane Herring, online L1 student
This self-paced GSY Online course Includes:
32-Hours of easy-to-follow instructions with Continuing Education Units
32-hrs of Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) are approved by Yoga Alliance. C-IAYTs may apply for CEUs. We are in the application process for acupuncture, and massage CEU’s.
This Course is offered through a series of short topic-oriented videos taught by James Knight, Founder of Gentle Somatic Yoga & Wellness®. In addition, there are full length GSY classes.
Downloadable Instruction Sheets
James provides you with illustrated step-by-step instruction handouts. These handouts can be used to create a manual for future reference.
Modifications and Props
James understands you will be sharing GSY with a variety of students from all-level yogis, to active seniors, to desk workers. Tips are available to help with athletic performance, individuals recovering from injury, pre and post-surgery, pregnancy, and more.
The neuroscience of GSY
James has spent his career learning and implementing the science behind this revolutionary approach to self-healing. He will empower you to learn the neuroscience in an easy to understand way.
Philosophical underpinnings of GSY
Discover the value of Finding Your “Inner Yes”. James is passionate about giving you the tools to self-observe and then make healthier choices in your body.
Tips for building your business
Learn how to market GSY and develop new workshops, classes and private client services. These are great skills for seasoned yoga teachers/therapists, near-to-retirees, and the budding entrepreneur wanting to inspire people.
“I learned a lot. This course was informative, comprehensive without being redundant, good layout of format, and the videos were a huge benefit that enhanced the learning process. I am looking forward to the roll out of Level 2.”
William P. “Bill” McKinney, online L1 student
View our Course Outline for additional information
Interested in Becoming Certified?
This is another benefit we have added for yoga teachers, yoga therapists, body workers, or healthcare practitioners who certify with GSY. As an endorsed Gentle Somatic Yoga® Practitioner, you will be highlighted in our teacher directory on our website. As well, we can promote your events on social media and connect you with other skilled Movement Educators who have joined our growing international community. We will help you incorporate Gentle Somatic Yoga in either one-on-one customized sessions or in group movement classes, as part of your professional instruction service(s).
“I’ve been working through the online course and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed it. Impressed by the quality of the content, the work behind the handouts, and the logical presentation of concepts.”
Jeff Mah, online L1 student